Online Course Library
Apple growing answers, from pruning to pests
Imagine never having to buy apples again! With just a few healthy and productive apple trees in your garden, it’s easy to grow a year’s supply for your family.
$24.00 incl. GST
Apples are one of the “must have” tree types for many fruit gardens, and one of the most common trees you’re likely to find when you move onto a property with established trees.
With literally hundreds of varieties to choose from, apples have a very long harvest season (up to 7 months), store well, are easy to preserve, and are incredibly versatile. But they can also be very tricky to grow, with common problems including codling moth, pruning difficulties, crops that are too light or too heavy, small fruit, branches breaking, and mysterious diseases.
After you complete this module you’ll know how to correctly prune and thin your apple trees, how to manage common pest and disease issues, the right time to pick your crop and how to preserve it, with a few delicious apple recipes thrown in. (NOTE: This module draws together all the apple-specific units from other modules, but you’ll also find lots more information about how to grow apples in other modules.)
What’s included in this module:
- Unit 1: Prune apples & pears (article)
- Unit 2a Thinning apples & pears (video)
- Unit 2b: How to thin apples (video)
- Unit 3a: Spotlight on Codling moth (article)
- Unit 3b: Codling moth revealed (video)
- Unit 3c: Develop a codling moth plan (activity)
- Unit 4: Apple dimpling bug (article)
- Unit 5a: Spotlight on Black spot (article)
- Unit 5b: Exploring Black spot (activity)
- Unit 6a: When should I pick my apples (article)
- Unit 6b: Use the iodine test to check apple ripeness (video)
- Unit 7a: Preserve summer fruit (article)
- Unit 7b: Apple pancakes (recipe)
- Unit 7c: Apple recipes (recipe)
- Unit 7d: Lemon apple cake (recipe)
Can I buy this in hard copy?
Sorry, no, products are digital only.