ABOUT THE SPEAKERS
Hugh and Katie Finlay have been growing organic fruit commercially for almost 20 years. Through drought, flood and everything in between, they’ve successfully harvested a crop every year. They’ve taught hundreds of people how to grow their own fruit and quickly feel like fruit tree experts.
Hugh is the ‘microbe nerd’ on the farm, having trained with Dr Elaine Ingham at the Soil Food Web Institute. In the orchard Hugh looks after nutrition, irrigation, and pretty much anything that involves a tractor! After doing his initial farm training in Western Australia and the middle East, Hugh spent many years roaming the world as a Lonely Planet author before settling on the idyllic farm in Harcourt he shares with Katie.
Katie’s in charge of production and packing on the farm, which includes everything from pruning and grafting the trees through to looking after the pack-house and marketing. Growing up on the farm Katie thought farming was for the birds and headed off to Uni in Melbourne, but after getting her Bachelor of Science and then studying permaculture, she realized that her heart lay back where she’d started in the country, and returned to
Katie and Hugh are passionate about helping people learn how to successfully grow their own fruit. They grow organically, and teach organic growing principles and methods. They’re aware of the changing climate, so the gardening methods they teach help to create solutions, not add to the problem.
They’ve poured years of experience into their farm-tested Grow Great Fruit program after talking to hundreds of home growers, and figuring out what you need most…information, security, and someone you can trust to help you solve your problems.
The 5 Key Steps to Quick Success with Fruit Trees
Free webinar with Hugh & Katie Finlay
Awards 'n Stuff
- Winner, 2015 RIRDC Victorian Rural Women’s Award, link here
- Winner, 2015 Mount Alexander Business of the Year
- Winner, 2015 Mount Alexander Sustainability and Environment Award
- Runner-up, Outstanding Best Practice, Outstanding Innovation or Invention & Encouragement Awards, Carbon Cocky Awards, 2011
- Medalist, ‘From the Earth, delicious produce awards, 2011
- Medalist, ‘From the Earth, delicious produce awards, 2010
Media & Speaking
- Speaker, “Apple Day”, Kyabram Garden Club, 2018
- Article, “Fruits of Labour” Lost Magazine, link here, 2018
- Article, “Farmers choose to see ‘up’ side of disaster”, Weekly Times, link here, 2018
- TV appearance, “If you see it, you can be it”, ABC Kids TV series celebrating International Womens Day, 2018
- Article, “??New food trends”, Australian Geographic magazine, 2018
- Podcast, “Get the Dirt”, the food exchange, link here, 2018
- Keynote speaker, VCE Business Forum, La Trobe University, Bendigo, 2017
- Article, “Meet the maker – stone fruit”, Eatwell Magazine, link here, 2017
- Speaker, Spring Gardens Expo, Rushworth Spring Gardens, 2017
- Article, “The ancient art of grafting” Pip Australian Permaculture Magazine, link here, 2017
- Blog post, “Innovative small farming model developed in Harcourt”, Waller Realty blog, link here, 2017
- Article, ABC News Online, interview about co-operatives in agriculture, link here, 2017
- Article, “Victorian Government backs organic alliance”, The Weekly Times, link here, 2017
- Speaker, “Food & Fibre Future Directions” conference, Bendigo TAFE, 2017
- Article, “New farming enterprise offered a headstart on Harcourt family’s established land”, Bendigo Advertiser, link here, 2017
- Speaker, Mount Alexander Business Awards ceremony, 2017
- Article, “Australia Plus”, ABC Online, interview about hosting international organics delegate, link here, 2017
- Speaker, Outside the Square event, Bendigo, 2017
- Article, “Fruit farmers on a mission to boost our backyard bounties”, The Age and Sydney Morning Herald, link here, 2016
- Panelist, Selection Committee for Rural Women’s Award Victorian winner, 2016
- Field day host farm, Sustainable and Biodiverse Farms Field Day, 2016
- Radio interview, “Country Hour”, ABC Radio, interview with Nikolai Beilharz after winning the Victorian Rural Women’s Award, hear the interview here, 2015
- Article, Australian Fruitgrower Magazine, link here, 2015
- Keynote speaker, NASAA Industry Conference, Canberra, link here, 2015
- Speaker, “Farmers using technology”, Local Lives, Global Matters conference, Castlemaine, 2015
- Article, “Celebrating excellence”, Midland Express, link here, 2015
- Speaker, Chicks in the Sticks conference, Kyneton, 2015
- Judge, Rural Ambassador Award, Victorian Show Association, Melton, 2015
- Keynote speaker, Connecting Rural Business Women conference, Beechworth, 2015
- Article, “Two hot topics on the one bill”, Midland Express, link here, 2015
- Panelist, “The Great Debate: is organics a fad or the future of farming?”, Ausveg National Horticultural Convention, 2015
- Article, “Mt Alexander Fruit Gardens at Harcourt Back from the Brink”, Weekly Times, link here, 2015
- Video, “Waste Deep”, made by Sustainable Table – watch the video here, 2014
- Article, Midland Express, about our involvement in the local sustainable food system, link here, 2014.
- Article, Bendigo Advertiser, “Warm in the Orchard”, link here, 2014.
- Article, Midland Express, “Sustaining a Community”, link here, 2014.
- Farm visit by leader of the Australian Greens, Christine Milne, and article about the visit in the Midland Express, link here,
- Article, “Love for the Land Runs Deep”, in the Finding Neverland series of articles, Bendigo Magazine, Issue 33, Summer 2013/14.
- Case study, “Many Publics. Participation Inventiveness and Change” report by Kate Auty, the Commissioner for Environmental Sustainability in Victoria (read the report at: www.ces.vic.gov.au) 2012
- Web article, “Enjoying the Fruits of Our Labours”, Cultivating community website, 2012
- Keynote session speaker,Growers and Eaters Conference, Bendigo, 2012
- Panel speaker, Get the Dirt on Food Security, Northcote, 2011
- Article, Australian Horticulture magazine, 2011
- Article, Good Fruit and Vegetables magazine, 2011
- Video case study, FarmVIEW video series about farming in a changing environment: Watch video here. (ep 2.1 ‘Climate and Planning’), 2010
- Featured speakers, Organic Agriculture Association Future Farming conference, Bairnsdale, 2010