Throwing food scraps in the bin is not a good idea. It causes greenhouse pollution and wastes nutrients that could otherwise be used in your garden as wonderful fertiliser for your fruit trees, vegies, and other plants.
The YIMBY (Yes In My Back Yard) compost system is a community composting initiative in Castlemaine that has been set up to divert organic ‘waste’ from landfill. YIMBY has come up with a revolutionary system – and a recipe – to create a continuous hot composting system.
Tradition hot composting means stockpiling all the ingredients until you have enough to build a m3 pile. The pile is then built in one go. This creates two problems: (1) having enough space to stockpile the ingredients until you’re ready to build a pile (and keeping the rodents out of them), and (2) what to do with your kitchen scraps in between compost piles.
In the YIMBY system, food scraps can be added to the pile each week for about 6-8 weeks before you need to start a new bay. And because it’s a ‘hot composting’ technique, it means that all food scraps can be safely composted to EPA standards.
Who is this workshop for?
- People who want to learn how to make excellent compost
- Gardeners interested in growing their own nutrient-dense food
- People who don’t currently have a satisfactory system for dealing with kitchen and garden scraps
- People concerned about climate change and reducing ‘waste’
What does this workshop cover?
- What can be composted in the YIMBY compost system?
- How to safely compost pretty much anything (except plastic and dog poo)
- The ideal ‘recipe’ to make great compost
- Monitoring and managing your compost
- Workshop notes will be emailed to participants after the workshop
- Afternoon tea
What you need to bring:
- A pen and paper for note-taking (notes will be emailed to participants after the workshop)
- Appropriate warm and outdoor clothing and footwear
Joel Meadows and Mikaela Beckley are true compost nerds. They have taught the YIMBY continuous composting system to dozens of people. They are successfully supporting home composters to consistently produce high-quality compost that meets EPA guidelines.
- Grow Great Fruit members receive a 50% discount on all on-farm workshops. The discount will be automatically applied at checkout.
- If you’re staying for both workshops on August 27 please bring something to share for lunch. We’ll provide soup and bread.
- Please do a COVID test before coming to the workshop, and if you have a positive result or are feeling unwell, stay home (refunds will be available for non-attendance due to illness).
There are no reviews yet.