Field Trips Are Fun

Field trips to other people’s properties are one of the most effective ways of learning about farming (apart from actually doing it for a few years, of course). Ant at his first ANOO conference, with Hugh and Katie We’re just back from ANOO 2019, the fifth...

How to feel proud to be Australian

Cohen giving his speech at the Sorry Day ceremony in Harcourt This week we have a guest spot, from Cohen Saunders who regularly volunteers here at the farm. Cohen is also on the Student Representative Council at his local high school, and won this year’s local...

Christmas parties with a difference

I’ve been to three outstanding Christmas parties in the last couple of weeks, all of which were beautiful examples of what Christmas can be about. Two were for the boards I sit on—Maldon and District Financial Services Ltd, or MDFSL (a not-for-profit company...

This is what “retirement” looks like…

We’ve been asked a lot recently how we’re enjoying our retirement. Well, so far, this is what retirement looks like… Though we’re not responsible for most of the orchards any more, we still look after the heritage apple orchard. We didn’t...

How to set up a farming co-op

We’ve signed the leases! It took 3 months of negotiation and not a little angst, but all 4 founding members of the Harcourt Organic Farming Co-op now have a lease at the farm. (In fact the leases all started on 1 July, it just took another 3 months to work out...

RetroSuburbia…and a new future

I had the privilege last night of MC’ing an event and panel discussion  at an event in Castlemaine where David Holmgren introduced his new book “Retrosuburbia: the downshifters guide to a resilient future″. (If you want to know more about it you can check out the...